I am That Mom....


I actually dusted off my blog yesterday with plans to write and right on cue came an impromptu blog festival which was enough encouragement for me to join in.....Thanks to Flo for starting this and giving me a writing prompt and for all the enjoyment reading the multitude of other posts about.....

I AM THAT MOM...


I am That Mom

that would rather we spend time with just our family than being around people who are not very nice to their kids. I am also one of many unschooling moms with a bumper sticker that says "World Peace Begins at Home...Be Nicer to Your Kids. "


I am That mom

that wakes up hearing her son playing his guitar quietly in his room at 4:00 a.m and thinks..".How cool that he has learned to play from all these nights where no one is telling him to go to bed earlier."


I am That mom

who will always make sure her kids have their own room to come home to. Always. And they can leave and return as many times as they want. We live in Our home.

I am That mom

that hugs her kids every single night and tells them she loves them even when they are taller than she is. (Except for Brenna :-) and I hug her too. Most times, I hug them as they are going out the door with triple hugs if they are going to gone more than a day. Add in some tears once I see them driving down the road. Every time.

I am That mom

that doesn't make her kids do chores and often walks into a clean kitchen that she didn't clean.

I am That mom

who never asked (or even expected) that her 17 year old son mow the lawn and recently has watched him go out in the middle of the hot summer day and mow the lawn. Just because he wanted to.

I am That mom

that is amazed and in awe of her kids creativity and intense focus as they pursue their passions fully. She is certain that is because they have had the time to do so and because they weren't coerced or required to take classes because someone else thought it was necessary or made to stop playing a video game to take out the trash. They are and always will be encouraged to do what they love even if it is something she doesn't love.

I am That mom

who finally learned that it's okay to have an unmopped floor and that my most important job as a mom is be available to spend time with them when they need me. Not when it is convenient for me.

I am That mom

that loves to watch her kids laugh hysterically at things that she might consider obscene and has learned to enjoy and not cringe (much :-) when she watches them too.

I am That mom

that thinks her daughter's choice to leave college and pursue other paths was a brave and wise one. I'm the mom that will continue to support both my kids choices and vow never to coerce them into something that is my vision or might be what I think would be best.

I am That mom

that believes and hopes she has conveyed to her kids that it is the friendships both old and new that will carry them through. To surround themselves with people who will love them all the time, not just when it is convenient. That will be there for them and support their life choices. I am that mom who believes in open doors and love but doesn't want her kids to ever feel guilty for walking away from someone who doesn't treat them with respect.

I am that mom

who has learned to listen to her own voice and is happy with what she hears.


I am that mom

who will talk to anyone who truly wants to know about our unschooling lives but thinks our message probably gets across best by just living our lives.


I am that mom

who has learned to open her arms to let her kids fly when they are ready but keeps both outstretched to steady or catch them if they need it.

No matter what age they may be.



I am That Mom that is quite certain that her kids hung the moon and she loves them as high as the sky and beyond.




Comments

Zenmomma said…
You are definitely one of MY favorite moms.
Flo said…
Gail, you made me cry. Ditto what Mary said and many thanks for being such a wonderful role model. xoxo
Frank said…
Your life is a message and it's a magnificent one.
Ronnie said…
So beautiful, Gail! Thanks for joining the blog party!

Lots of carnival links in the comments here.
kelli said…
How wonderful Gail :) It's been a joy hanging out with your guys the last couple of days.
Sarah said…
Absolutely beautiful. And a bracing post to read for a mom of young children.
Steven said…
You are that Mom that two children are very lucky to have!
Danielle said…
You are one of the most quietly amazing women I know. Just sayin'. :D
Tina said…
I just followed a link from Jeff Sabo's blog and I am happy I did.

Thank you for the reminder that I need to be available to my daughter when she needs me, not when it is convenient to me.

Sometimes I seem to forget that...
Katie said…
I love this post! Thank You ♥
Wow. Wow. I just happened upon your blog while "researching" unschooling. You may quickly become one of my favorite sources of inspiration. I want to be that mom too! Thanks for your words.

Popular posts from this blog

All Are Welcome Here

Two Views

Legacy Hideaway