A New Season.....





December is only a few hours away and with it comes one of my favorite times of year. Our traditions and seasonal celebrations create a lovely flow of life that I treasure.

This is the first Thanksgiving/Christmas holiday,since I was in my early twenties, that I've celebrated while living somewhere that has four distinct seasons. And that was quite some time ago! :-)

Today, as I took our dog, Bubbles, out for a walk I realized that I love the colder weather. I have lived for more than 25 years in the warmer climates of Austin, Texas, and Jacksonville, Florida, and have loved the warm winters. Today though, as I walked around the lake close to our house, I was reminded of those brisk Northern New Mexico frosty winter mornings. There was a feel and smell to the air that was comforting and filled with memories. I have a reason to make hot tea in the middle of the day here and curl up on the couch with the animals snuggled in beside me.

It felt like Christmas today as I decorated the tree while listening to a Pandora Christmas station without needing to turn on the air conditioning. Instead I needed to find another shirt to layer on to keep warm. Tonight, there's a fire glowing in the fireplace. Brenna is softly singing "Winter Wonderland" and working on a sewing project in the middle of the living room floor. We are all loving our new Asheville home and surroundings and have been enjoying time with friends, exploring the area and playing some family board games like Rummikub in the evenings.


Broc and I drove up the road across from our house this past weekend right onto
The Blue Ridge Parkway and the view just took my breath away. We are surrounded by mountains and hiking trails and are only a few minutes from a vibrant, quirky and fun downtown.

I've found some fun Zumba and Ballet and Yoga classes to go to very close to home and I'm enjoying some time not working as I wait for my North Carolina Speech Pathology license to be issued. I've actually been cooking and baking much more than I ever did in Florida much to the delight of my family :-)


As I tried to come up with a word today to describe what I'm feeling, I kept coming back to "Contentment". There have been times in my life that would not have been enough but for right now, "Content" is a very good place to be.

I am especially thankful that Broc's job has allowed him to spend more time with us than ever before and that in itself is reason enough to love it here. Both Brenna and Logan have friends close by and so the feeling of contentment seems to be enveloping our whole family.


This year has brought connections with both old and new friends in real life and through social networking. I love keeping in touch and feeling part of a much bigger world than the days of the occasional phone call or letter. There are people reading this blog who comment and there are many people who read here that I will never know. Still, the connection is there.

The next few weeks will be busy with holiday celebrations and all that comes with it so this seemed a quiet lull to mention how much it means to me to have people in my life both near and far that I think of with much kindness and love. I wish you all a season of giggles and good food....of warmth and surprises and many hugs......of peace and good health......and of contentment.

Comments

Sandra Dodd said…
The warmth from your house and your post just warmed up my house all the way in New Mexico. Merry Christmas, Gail. I'm very glad to know you.

Popular posts from this blog

All Are Welcome Here

Two Views

Legacy Hideaway